Five Gift-Giving Tips, Based Upon the DISC Assessment of Communication Styles
Pages 1, 2 & 3
Be smart. Reduce your holiday stress by giving gifts to those you love based upon their DISC Communication Style preferences. Recall what each family member and friend REALLY wants from you - and give it to them!
Use these five gift-giving tips to make the holidays more fun and less stressful!
What is DISC?
D.I.S.C. is a very popular communication style model and assessment tool that provides a simple and smart way to better understand human behavior and improve communication with others.
It is based upon four Communication Styles that match the letters: D I S C. Each Communication Style represents different (and observable-by-others)
behavioral and communication tendencies. We teach and certify others to become experts in this tool.
- FIRST - review the D.I.S.C. style descriptions below to guess your friend or family member's Style and then, take action! (Note: for ease of writing I use the male pronoun even though all the tips apply to both male & female.)
- NEXT - Use these five tips stress reducing tips are effective with your
five-year old daughter, sixty-year old uncle, spouse and next-door
- Offer Projects & Activities Based Upon Their Style
- Encourage These Stress-Buster Activities
- Give Gifts Based Upon D.I.S.C. Style
- Sing Their Praises By Acknowledging Some of Your Loved One's Greatest Strengths
- Pay Attention, These Things Make Them Crazy!
#1: Help Reduce Holiday Stress - Offer Projects & Activities Based Upon Their Style
- The high Dominance style wants control, challenge, and autonomy to make decisions & solve problems.
Ask him to take charge of a project - something that allows him to move
fast, be directive and make fast decisions. Get him involved with
- The high Influence style wants others to be friendly, emotionally honest, and want to be recognized for their contributions. Make
time to listen. Verbally share your appreciation for the things he
does. If you need others to get motivated or to gather together, ask
him to help you. (He's a natural 'cheer-leader.')
- The high Steadiness style wants others to be relaxed, agreeable, cooperative & appreciative.
Draw him out by asking personal and family questions. If you ask him to
help you on a project, take time to review instructions and provide assurances. Check-in often.
- The high Compliance style wants others to socialize less & focus on details, logic & accuracy more. If
you have a project that requires thought, detailed focus and precision,
get him to help you with it. For example have him help you put together a new toy, figure out how your roaster timer works on your oven - anything that requires analysis and thought.
Go To Reduce Holiday Stress With D.I.S.C. Style - Page 2
Determine Your Family Member or Friend's DISC Style...
Here's a quick overview of the four D.I.S.C.Styles. Think about some of the people you'll be seeing, pick the Style(s) that most describe this person.
Side Note: We are more than our Communication Style, we are often more than just one style, but we all usually have a primary Style tendency/preference.
The Four D.I.S.C. Styles:
What You See - From Each Style:
High D = Dominance
Assertive, Fast-Paced, Animated, Urgent, Task-Focused, Ambitious and Competitive, Wants You To Give The Bottom Line
High I = Influence
Friendly & Enthusiastic, Fast-Paced, Animated, Embraces Change,
Wants You To Let Him/Her Talk
High S = Steadiness
Warm Calm Demeanor, Very Patient,
Steady Pace, Resists Change, People-Focused, Loyal Team-Player,
Wants Everyone to Get Along
High C = Compliance
Reserved, Neat, Cautious Pace,
Resists Change, Task-Focused,
Precise and Analytical,
Wants You To Use Logic & ALL the Details
Related Holiday Stress and D.I.S.C. Style Posts and Services:
Go To Reduce Holiday
Contact us to schedule a Complimentary Consulting Call
or to ask questions about any of our Hiring,
Coaching, Training and Assessment services.
Stress With D.I.S.C. Style, Tips 2 &3 - Page 2 ►