Podcast Episode #: 26
Leader As Coach Skill
Overview of Episode #26 ---
- I interview Ian Day Author of the book Challenging Coaching.
- Coaching skill – High support, high challenge.
- What the Zone of Uncomfortable Debate (ZOUD) is and how you can use it to help the people you lead and coach to greatness.
- Learn how to move from the Cozy Club or Stress interaction to the Loving Boot and high performance.
- 3 barriers that keep leaders from being a more effective coach.
- Learn about the freedom and responsibility matrix.
Contact Ian Day:
Timing on Recording: @ 3:15 ---
Topic 1: Welcome, Ian's Background, Audible.com
- Ian's Background
- Ian's Book: Challenging Coaching: Going Beyond Traditional Coaching to Face the FACTS. Get free book with a 30 day trialon Audible.com (my affiliate link)
Timing on Recording: @ 8:15 ---
Topic 2: Get to Know You Questions and Overview of the FACTS Model
- Favorite guilty pleasure t.v. show
- Favorite possession story
- The FACTS Coaching Model - all equally important and leaders may want to keep them in mind while working with their employees/coachee:
Timing on Recording: @ 20:35 ---
Topic 3: What is the Zone of Uncomfortable Debate and Why Does It Matter? How to Get Better at This
Timing on Recording: @ 34:42 ---
Topic 4: The Support Challenge Matrix
Timing on Recording: @ 51:15 ---
Topic 5: Top Three Barriers to Using High Support High Challenge
Timing on Recording: @ 55:04 ---
Topic 6: The Freedom and Responsibility Matrix
Timing on Recording: @ 1:02:58---
Topic 8: Advice to 30 Year Old Self, My Billboard Any Where and One Thing for Leaders to Remember About This Topic
Timing on Recording: @ 1:07:15 ---
Topic 9: Suzie's Recap of Key Points
- Research - People learn and grow best when there’s a balance between support and challenge, where you take them out of their comfort zone. How to get better:
- Ways to Improve:
- Get comfortable with ZOUD - the Zone of Uncomfortable Zone
- Self Awareness - my assessment and coaching process
- Practice: Learn about WPSA, a course correction process outlined in this Podcast: www.pricelessprofessional.com/wpsa
- Practice: Self-paced audio workshop with 15 minute practice call with me
What Everybody Ought to Know About Workplace Communication
- Use Feedforward and Triad Calls - check out the Podcast for more information
- Be a brave leader – let go and challenge others and create an interdependent culture on the team you lead - Mix of freedom and responsibility
- Believe in yourself.
- Marianne Williamson – Author, Speaker – Our Biggest Fear:
“Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.”
Subscribe via iTunes or Leave a Review
Podcasts and Books Mentioned in This Podcast
Get a complimentary audio book and support this podcast by using my affiliate link:
Get a Free Audio Book w/ 30-day Trial
Short- Term Leadership Coaching – Using TriMetrix
Schedule a Complimentary Consulting Call or Send Me Feedback:
STAY IN TOUCH: Are you a leader, trainer or consultant focused on building a Wake Up Eager Workforce? Subscribe to this Podcast Here. You can also sign up for monthly email updates, here. Thank you for being a part of the Wake Up Eager Workforce Podcast!!
Contact us to schedule a Complimentary Consulting Call
or to ask questions about any of our Hiring,
Coaching, Training and Assessment services.