How to Get Out of Overwhelm
and Get Things Done - Tools, Tips and Tricks
Wake Up Eager Workforce Podcast #6 - Show Notes
Go To Wake Up Eager Workforce Directory of Podcasts
Overview of Episode #6. The following topics are covered:
- The problem of overwhelm runs rampant,
- Six surprising reasons why we get into overwhelm (it may not be what you think...)
- Seven Solutions:
Position Dashboard, 80/20 Exercise, Daily List of Six, Daily TNT, a
Great Book, Tech Tools and Training.
- Wrap Up: An important Mantra/Affirmation and
Topic #1: Intro, the Problem and the Numbers
Timing on Recording: @ 3:30---
- Problem of Overwhelm on my mind…Coaching calls with 30 different people –
84% (via TriMetrixHD assessment results) were experiencing some sort of discord around getting
things done, as light as some tension to as strong as overwhelm,
frustration and feeling hindered in achieving results.
- TriMetrixHD measures: Practical Thinking
Definition - The ability to anticipate potential
opportunities and problems. Sound problem-solving abilities. A calm, cool
approach to managing opportunities and problems. Good follow-through. One key trait of good practical thinkers is
that they spend more time working diligently toward important goals than they
do "putting out fires," which are urgent but potentially less important
in the long run.The numbers: 84% of the 30 people scored NOT STRONG here.
- TriMetrixHD measures: Planning and Organization
Using logical, systematic and orderly procedures
to meet objectives. Optimum
productivity; Monitors implementation
and makes adjustments as needed. The numbers: 64%
of the 30 people being coached scored NOT STRONG here. (Population mean scores for this competency are low, too – of the 100,000’s
biz prof – 1-10, mean score for Planning and Organization is: 4.3.)
Timing on Recording: @ 7:30---
- I've been there, probably for the first 40+ years of my life.Today – my life is busy and full as it ever was, but I’m not
- Disclaimer – I am NOT a time management expert – I’m just a busy person, who wants to live as fully and joyfully as I can – and I observe myself and others, and I’ve found somethings that work – that I want to share with you.
- The BEST Mantra/Affirmation (and something to reach for...): I get things done immediately,
thoroughly and cheerfully.
Topic # 2: Suzie's Six Reasons Why... (It Might Not Be What You Think!)
Timing on Recording: @ 11:15 ---
- 1) Little known concept: Planning Fallacy –a strong
tendency to chronically underestimate task completion. The planning fallacy ---
Roger Buehler, a psychology professor
estimates that people on average underestimate task-completion time by as much
His studies have found the same issues for
matters as small as mailing a letter and as critical as income taxes.
- 2) Say yes to too much – being a 'please-r' or we just don’t
stop and think, not thinking does this fit in with my/business priorities?
- 3) DISC STYLE TENDENCIES (See: http://www.pricelessprofessional.com/discvideo )
---D - Dominant = everything’s urgent, snap decisions, poor
delegation, firefighting, no written plan and crisis management (likes action)
---I - Influence = like
to be involved with too many people, procrastinate “that’s not fun” long lunches (love the conversation) and day
---S - Steadiness = Postpone the unpleasant, not exercising authority, failure to be
precise with responsibility, resisting change
---C - Compliance = overly neat and orderly, seeking the best –
but not necessarily workable solution, fear of mistakes, overreacting to
criticism, waiting for things to happen
- 4) Wrong type of work, so we start frustrating (not
a match to your interests, competencies, communication style strengths)
- 5) Sometimes in the right place, but
mindset/alignment is off
- 6) Management skills lacking – not efficient on the job.They may want to do it, because they liked what they heard.
The BEST Mantra/Affirmation (and something to reach for...)
"I get things done immediately,
thoroughly and cheerfully."
Topic # 3: Seven Solutions to Get Yourself Out of Overwhelm
Timing on Recording: @ 19:05 ---
- 1) OVERALL: Know what
your priorities are with a Job Dashboard – Top 3-5
priorities. Video overview and how-to: www.pricelessprofessional.com/dashboard
- 2) Exercise Activity : 80/20 - The rule says that you should be spending 80
percent of your time on the most important 20 percent of your projects.
-Do you know what your most important 20
-Do you spend 80 percent of your time on them?
Why or why not?
-What can you do to re-prioritize your
-Which projects can you delegate to someone
-Which projects don’t really need to be done?
-Which projects should you ADD to your list?
Timing on Recording: @ 26:20 ---
- 3) Plan the next Day in advance – Your Daily List
list of six must happen actions the next day, created the night before you
leave work, so it’s in your mind and on your desk when you arrive the next day.
you get momentum from the previous day;it sets you up for success;it's
empowering; it's doable; it brings more ease and calm into your day.
HOW: Your List of Six should only include what:
1. HAS TO HAPPEN TOMORROW.
2 You are WILLING TO COMMIT TO
making sure gets done, the next day.
Once you have your List of Six
created, place it where you can see it when you get in to work the first thing
tomorrow morning, and all day.
-->RESOURCE: www.pricelessprofessional.com/120tips BOOK: 120 Stress Management Strategies for
-->RESOURCE: www.pricelessprofessional.com/mindbodyspiritquiz QUIZ: Mind, Body, Spirit Quiz
Timing on Recording: @ 34:00 ---
- 4) Tune in Time – TNT - A
minimum of 15 minutes a day to Pause, Reflect, Plan and/or Think. (=to 1% a day.) Stress is
a part of life. But it doesn't have to be the WAY of your life. -->RESOURCE: www.pricelessprofessional.com/tnt More about Tune In Time - with 15 recommended actions...
- 5) Book/Process: Getting Things Done by David Allen - I love these quotes from the book: “It is possible to be effectively doing while
you are delightfully being in your ordinary workaday world”
- 6) Technology: GetItDoneApp
http://getitdoneapp.com/ ; Evernote; Google
Calendar with Calendars App – by Readdle ; Schedule
Once - appointment scheduler.
Timing on Recording: @ 44:55 ---
- 7) Solutions –
Management Training -->RESOURCE- our leadership workshops. Important Leadership Skills to Master: Delegation; Discipline; Communication; Workplace
"It is possible to be effectively doing while you are delightfully
being in your ordinary workaday world" David Allen
# 4: Wrap Up and Nine Additional Ideas Reminders
Timing on Recording: @ 48:50 ---
- 1) Learn a planning and organization skills system
– classes, software, etc.
- 2) Use the Daily List of six for organizing your day
- 3) Track how you are spending time every day, every
15 minutes, for 3 to 5 days
- 4) Say yes to things that serve and excite you –
that match your motivators, intentions and goals. Say no to more things that feel like, “I
should” or you are doing because you’ve “always done them” but they no longer
- 5) Get help – lawn help, housekeeper, outsource
projects, a coach
- 6) Be aware of when you are feeling angst,
anxiousness, frustration and overwhelm – track when you are feeling this and
what seems to be the cause – track for a few weeks. See if you see trends. Something was happening BEFORE that you lost
track of or let take you over, what was it?
- 7) Meditation, prayer, quiet time. Take daily tune
- 8) Affirmations to help you shift. (For example: "I get things done immediately,
thoroughly and cheerfully.")
- 9) Recreate/evolve/change your thinking that being
overwhelmed = being valuable/or adds value.
Stop thinking that complaining and feeling ‘like a crazy person with a
demanding schedule’ proves something.
RECAP of RESOURCE LINKS MENTIONED IN THIS PODCAST:
-Overview of DISC Styles www.pricelessprofessional.com/discvideo
- Create a Job Dashboard www.pricelessprofessional.com/dashboard
- 120 Stress Management Strategies for
- Mind, Body, Spirit Quiz www.pricelessprofessional.com/mindbodyspiritquiz
- Tune in Time www.pricelessprofessional.com/tnt
- Leadership Skills Training
Contact Suzie Price
Go Back To Podcast Directory
Comment OR Ask a Question OR
Share YOUR Favorite Tip/Resource Here: :
Contact Us To Schedule a Complimentary Consulting Call or to Ask Questions
Priceless Professional Home