Setting Performance Expectations the Easy Way: Build Accountability w/ a Job Dashboard
Podcast #20 Job Dashboard Show Notes
Go To Wake Up Eager Workforce Directory of Podcasts
Overview of Episode #20. The following topics are covered:
- Focus: Helping Leaders Create a Culture of Accountability on their team and in their organization.
- I share a seven question quiz to test your understanding around performance expectations.
- I show you how to use a three step model, the Job Dashboard, as an easy way to create and share performance expectations and keep people accountable.
- Book Mentioned in This Podcast - complimentary audio book and support this podcast by using my affiliate link: www.pricelessprofessional.com/audible
- The Amazon Way: 14 Leadership Principles Behind the World's Most Disruptive Company
- Video Resource: How to Create a Job Dashboard
- Book Reference: How to Hire Superior Performers: 70 Tips, Best Practices and Strategies
Timing on Recording: @ 1:48 ---
Topic 1: Performance Expectations - Seven Question Quiz - Test Your Understanding
- What client Jim shared and how that prompted this Series
- Upcoming programs in this Accountability Series
- Quiz (Agree or Disagree):
1) When team members help set their own performance expectations they tend to underestimate what they can accomplish. (Agree or Disagree?)
2) Not all performance expectations can be stated so that they are measurable. (Agree or Disagree?)
3) The best performance expectation plans are loose and flexible. (Agree or Disagree)
4) Not all expectations have to be written. (Agree or Disagree)
5) Most team members do not like have performance expectations. (Agree or Disagree)
6) Specific performance expectations help a manager evaluate a team member's performance. (Agree or Disagree)
7) Having team members share their performance expectations promotes team work. (Agree or Disagree)
Timing on Recording: @ 12:16 ---
Topic 2: Story/Analogy That Explains What a Job Dashboard Is...
- A Job Dashboard is a performance management and hiring tool that succinctly describes the top three to five performance expectations (or priorities) that are crucial for superior performance in a position. The employee gets involved in deciding what actions he/she will take for each of the Dashboard Expectations or Priorities and it is referenced often to track progress or breakdowns.
- Dashboard Story...
- Here is an EXAMPLE of one Performance Dashboard for a Senior Customer Service position:
Priority #1.) Customer Satisfaction provided at required levels.
Priority #2.) Become a product expert & learn new features as they are released.
Priority #3.) Complete all orders and requests according protocol.
Priority #4.) Train and mentor new customer service reps.
Timing on Recording: @ 20:45 ---
Topic 3: How to Create a Job Dashboard
- A simple three-step goal setting guidelines process that is easily remembered
with the acronym: R.P.M.
Can use post it notes.
1. R. Respond & Brainstorm Question
happen or the job has failed?” Or said
in a positive way, “This must happen in the job for superior performance…” Think about the job and past people in the
job. Think about what you liked and what
was a 'disaster'. Brainstorm your
2. P. Place Responses, Create Headlines & Prioritize
Group all of the answers you
brainstormed into 3 to 5 categories.
Create a summary statement or headline for each category.
3. M. Metrics Are Added & Interview Questions
for each category. Create and select the best interview questions for each.
- You can create:
• By yourself (I do this for my own position)
• With the employee
• For a position you are filling - include three to eight subject matter experts (SMEs) who have a vested interested in the success of the Position. (I facilitate these types of discussions.)
The main objective here is to just have a Job Dashboard for every Position. If you can't get a group of SMEs together, do it by yourself.
- Watch me create a dashboard - video here. www.pricelessprofessional.com/dashboard
Why a Job Dashboard Matters and How It Helps You:
- Helps you and the employee get very clear about what’s
important and what matters the most.
Promotes clarity and purpose.
ownership of their job and makes accountability conversations objective and
- Help you have clear, honest and straightforward
performance review conversations with every employee.
- Helps new hires
focus on what matters most for success in their new position, setting them up
for quicker up time, less overwhelm and a greater probability of success.
Timing on Recording: @ 28:20 ---
Topic 4: Conversations With Your Employee
- Review top priorities with employee, ask their view
- Get the employee to share actions they are willing to take
- Negotiate any actions that are too high or too low - get clarity and agreement around what the actions will be.
- Create the measurements TOGETHER, AFTER you've agreed on the action.
- Have the employee repeat back to you what was agreed upon in the Dashboard. Make sure you are both on the same page.
- Schedule a time RIGHT THEN - open your calendars and schedule a time to meet and follow up.
Timing on Recording: @ 35:07 ---
Topic 5: Get the Employee Involved
- Job Dashboard, three steps, get the employee involved = more commitment, motivation and cooperation.
- Once set YOU MUST hold team members accountable to them.. Follow up, reference them… and support their performance by providing resources, encouragement, providing performance feedback and coaching, and recognition.
- When hiring and interviewing the Performance Dashboard helps:
- Avoid the three biggest interview mistakes, because it keeps interviewers focused on the skills and attitude that are most important for success in the job.
- The interview team ask the right interview questions because all interviewers are 'on the same page' around what's most important in the job.
- Focus on the right final selection criteria so that the interview team does not over-focus on the candidate's likability and/or background.
- Create clearer and more specific job postings so that you attract candidates who are a great match to the position.
- Delivers a consistent message to all candidates and new hires about what's expected in the job.
- Leaders do a much better job of instilling confidence in new hires and setting them up for success.
Subscribe via iTunes or Leave a Review
Books Mentioned in This Podcast
Get a complimentary audio book and support this podcast by using my affiliate link: www.pricelessprofessional.com/audible The Amazon Way: 14 Leadership Principles Behind the World's Most Disruptive Company
How to Hire Superior Performers: 70 Tips, Best Practices and Strategies
Short- Term Leadership Coaching – Using TriMetrix
Interview Skills Training - Dodge the Duds
Schedule a Complimentary Consulting Call or Send Me Feedback:
STAY IN TOUCH: Are you a leader, trainer or consultant focused on building a Wake Up Eager Workforce? Subscribe to this Podcast Here. You can also sign up for monthly email updates, here. Thank you for being a part of the Wake Up Eager Workforce Podcast!!
Contact Suzie To Schedule a Complimentary Consulting Call or to Ask Questions
Priceless Professional Home