Podcast Episode #41:
Overview of Episode #41 ---
- Surprising facts and stats about leaders and
- Three root causes why
leaders can get derailed.
- Areas that
can help a successful leader who are stuck,
get back on track.
- What leaders who are known for leading
innovative teams do very well.
- What true confidence in a leader looks like
and acts like.
- Valuable, practical tips and ideas to help
leaders demonstrate confidence AND humility.
About Michael Seitchik (sigh-cHIK):
- Director of Research and
Assessment for Bates.
- In his role as a certified BatesExPI™ feedback provider, he
offers coaching and assessment interpretation to senior leaders and
- For over 30 years, he has been
helping senior executives through coaching and designing custom executive
- Michael believes that coaching
provides leaders with the one critical thing highly successful and powerful
executives rarely get - the truth about the impact of their behavior on others.He learned this early in his
career when he was the full-time trusted advisor (coach) to the CEO of a major
- Since then, he has used this
philosophyto coach over 900 senior executivesat numerous companies and
organizations such as ARAMARK, BASF Corporation, JP Morgan Chase, Johnson & Johnson, J&J/Merck, Lockheed
Martin, Pfizer, State Street, TD Ameritrade, Unisys, andVerizon.
- Prior to joining Bates, Michael
operated a successful firm specializing in executive education, executive
coaching and executive team development.
- From 1997 through 2009 he was
Managing Director of Executive Education Services at RHR International.(Consulting firm)
- At RHR, he developed a unique approach to executive development
that combined workshops, coaching and action learning projects. This work has
been recognized by The Wall Street Journal, The New York Times, the Financial
Times, USA Today, The Globe & Mail and the Los Angeles
Business Journal. He used this approach to develop programs for ABInBev, ARAMARK, Best Buy, Darden
Restaurants, Kraft, McCormick, Merck, Northern Trust, Pepsi Bottling Group,
Steelcase, Swisscom, and US Foodservice.
- Prior to working at RHR, for
nine years he was the Director of Program Development at the Wharton School's Aresty Institute of Executive Education. He designed customized programs
for over sixty clients including DuPont, IBM, KPMG, General Motors, Unisys, and
received his Bachelor of Arts Degree from Trinity College and Doctorate in
adult education, group dynamics and organizational development from Temple University.
Timing on Recording: @ 7:50 --- Interview with Director of Research and Assessments for Bates Communications Michael Seitchik
Topic 1: Getting to know Michael.
- Favorite guilty-pleasure TV show – “The Voice.”
- Favorite possession – Bottle collection.
on Recording: @ 10:56 ---
Topic 2: Leaders
- Derailment – Costs to the company, percentage of
managers/executives who are engaged. Derailment can cost an organization more
than 20 times an executive’s salary, in some cases amounting to millions of
- “People feel stuck.”
- Not great at engaging people and getting them
involved. Only 34% of managers and executives are engaged.
- Don’t feel appreciated, too much going on,
unclear roles and responsibilities, too much change and uncertainty.
- How leadership is changing/transitioning. 60%
of all companies cite “leadership gaps” as their top business challenge.
on Recording: @ 17:54 ---
Topic 3: Warning
signs of derailment.
- Look for distress, it doesn’t have to be big things, look for
little things too (i.e. being short or frazzled).
- There is too much to do and the pressure of
getting it done is too much.
- Viscous cycle: Doing things without explaining
why you are doing them, leaves your team confused.
on Recording: @ 22:00 ---
Topic 4: How
confidence can cause derailment.
- CFO example - Having too much confidence.
- Take the time to slow down, engage and involve
on Recording: 26:48 ---
Topic 5: Root
causes of derailment.
- Being unaware.
- Lack of good feedback.
- Gap between your intentions and other people’s perceptions.
- Story – Moving from HR Manager to the right-hand man of the CEO.
on Recording: @ 34:50 ---
Topic 6: Top
areas (facets) that are seen most often to cause an executive to start going
- Measurements in the ExPI.
- What challenges are being faced?
- Highest rated facet: integrity.
on Recording: @ 38:18 ---
Topic 7: Confidence.
- Self-confidence vs. Social confidence.
- Bank teller to 2nd in charge of one of the largest
financial firms in the world.
- Imposter syndrome. 80% of people experience the imposter
syndrome. Why it is healthy.
- Positive feedback. “Helps people see a little bit better.”
- Give people permission to take a reasonable risk.
- Inviting dissent. JFK example.
- Have a good clean fight!
on Recording: @ 58:30 ---
Topic 8: Humility.
- Balancing confidence and humility. Be high in both!
- Don’t lower anything, raise your other facets.
on Recording: @ 1:00:35 ---
Topic 9: Wrap-up.
- Billboard: “Be curious.”
- Advice you would give your 25-30 year old self about executive
presence and leadership: Watch more closely how people react to what a leader
says or does.
- One bit of advice you would like every leader to take away from
our discussion about confidence, executive presence and derailment: You always
have the choice of changing how you show up; your presence, your
leadership, how people perceive you. Your behaviors can change.
Podcast Episode 38 - Executive Presence
Podcast Episode 39 - Execution
Podcast Episode 40 - Looking the Part
Suzanne Bates Books "All the Leader You Can Be, the Science of Achieving Extraordinary Executive Presence." Get a complimentary copy with a 30 day trail with this audible link HERE.
How Priceless Professional Development Coaches Senior Leaders and High Potentials - The Executive Presence Index...link HERE.
Podcasts and Books Mentioned in This Podcast
Get a complimentary audio book and support this podcast by using my affiliate link:
Get a Free Audio Book w/ 30-day Trial
Episode #38 Executive Presence – An Interview with Bates Communication's Scott Weighart
Coaching Senior Leaders - Executive Presence
PODCAST: Subscribe to our Podcast or Help Us and Leave a Review
NEWSLETTER: Sign up for Monthly Email Updates
PODCAST: Most Recent Episodes Directory of All Episodes
RELATED DEVELOPMENT SERVICES:
· Certification: Become the Expert: Assessment Certification Training
· Hiring: Hiring: Secret to Superior Performance
· Surveys: 360 Feedback and Organizational Surveys
· Complimentary Consulting Call or Send Us Feedback: Contact Suzie
Contact us to schedule a Complimentary Consulting Call
or to ask questions about any of our Hiring,
Coaching, Training and Assessment services.
Focused on Building Self Confidence? Check Out ProStar Coach - Strong For Success