Podcast Episode #45:
Getting New Hires to Stay
Overview of Episode #45 ---
- The biggest
mistakes leaders make with new hires.
- The best actions
leaders can take to keep new hires on board and productive.
- Innovative ideas
that her organization has implemented to improve engagement and retention.
Contact Judy Simmons:
Timing on Recording: @ 8:49 ---
Topic 1: Welcome; Getting
to Know Judy Simmons.
- Tell us your favorite guilty
pleasure TV show(s): Anything on HGTV.
- Tell us your favorite possession(s): Our dogs, Rider and Leah.
Timing on Recording: @ 13:52 ---
Topic 2: Some of
the biggest mistakes leaders make with their new hires.
- Leaders really need to spend time with new hires as they
enter the organization to get to know them and understand where their strengths
are, what their goals are so you can help them to quickly align with your goals
and your firm/company's goals.
- Leaders need to help new hires understand the expectations
that they have of them so that they can deliver on those expectations and have
a mission right away.
- Leaders need to check in on a regular basis, daily, to
make sure that their new hire is still on track.
- One size does NOT fit all…get to know your new hire as an
- Take your new hire to lunch the first day.
- Remember it starts from the very first contact in the employment
application process. How was your new hire treated in that process?
Timing on Recording: @ 19:00 ---
Topic 3: Top tools and tips and tricks.
- Get to your new hire early and making sure that you have
good communication with them from the very start is really important.
- Try to do your onboarding process in smaller bites, rather
than all-day or multi-day.
- Make sure that your new hire is prepared for the first day
of work – Let them know what to expect.
- Find ways to introduce your employees to the larger group;
lunch, scavenger hunt.
- Monthly social gathering for all new hires for that month.
- Assign buddies.
- Assign an advocate to every new hire, in addition to the
- Getting away from the review process and focus on career
Timing on Recording: @ 25:54 ---
Topic 4: What are
some things you have seen best leaders do around new hires?
- Frequent check-ins.
- Give honest feedback, have open dialogue.
Timing on Recording: @ 27:58 ---
Topic 5: How to
help leaders have open dialogue.
- Role play a discussion.
- Have focus groups.
- Encourage your new hire to calendar time with managers,
every month, every quarter, whatever is ideal for them to touch base and career
Timing on Recording: @ 32:05 ---
Topic 6: “Small
bites” of onboarding.
- Focus on the welcome.
- Allow employees to focus on getting settled.
- Monday morning orientation.
- Make sure new hires aren't walking around, scratching
their head wondering where their desk, the bathroom or lunchroom is.
- Build a seating chart.
Timing on Recording: @ 36:20 ---
Topic 7: 3 things
you need to do with every new hire.
- Reduce fear.
- Increase their understanding of how they fit in the
company, the role and the team.
- Help them be productive quickly.
Timing on Recording: @ 38:10 ---
Topic 8: Secrets
to making sure every leader is involved in the onboarding process.
- Make sure each leader has one-on-one time with their new
hire by organizing a lunch or small group conversation.
- “If you're observant, you'll learn all the time.”
- Importance of forming a steering committee.
Timing on Recording: @ 43:01 ---
Topic 9: Best and
worst hiring experiences.
- 24 hour organizations should find a way to make sure that
their night shift employees have a definite connection to their managers and
- Be engaged early on, make sure new hires are challenged
and make sure that they have a vision and that there's something they can
contribute to you right away.
Timing on Recording: @ 46:36 ---
Topic 10: Close.
- Your billboard – “Treat others as you want to be treated,”
whether they are your top performer or an underperformer.
- Advice you would give your 25 year-old self about your
career and being a leader - “Don’t sweat
the small stuff.”
- One last bit of advice/wisdom you'd like every leader to
take away about new hires and retention – “Read about things that might not be
in your particular profession, build your Business Acumen, build your
leadership development resource library.” “Perform stay interviews.”
Links to Episode #45:
Subscribe via iTunes or Leave a Review
Podcasts and Books Mentioned in This Podcast
Get a complimentary audio book and support this podcast by using my affiliate link:
Get a Free Audio Book w/ 30-day Trial
Essential Leadership Performance Skill Development for All Levels of Leadership
Schedule a Complimentary Consulting Call or Send Us Feedback:
STAY IN TOUCH: Are you a leader, trainer or consultant focused on building a Wake Up Eager Workforce? Subscribe to this Podcast Here. You can also sign up for monthly email updates, here. Thank you for being a part of the Wake Up Eager Workforce Podcast!!