Bill Gentry's Guide for New Leaders:
How to Be the Boss Everyone
Wants to Work For...
Podcast #34 Show Notes
Overview of Episode #34 -
Timing on Recording: @ 4:50 ---
Topic 1: Welcome, Bill's Background, Audible.com
Timing on Recording: @ ---
Topic 2: Getting to Know Bill Gentry, Ph.D.:
- Favorite guilty pleasure t.v. show & famous actor
- Most challenging and most rewarding moments as a leader
An act of bravery and Brave Leaders Inc.
- Bill's story and journey
- Who has had the greatest influence on his career...
Timing on Recording: @ 24:00 ---
Topic 3: Non-Verbal Communication Insight - Dev Tools He Used
- Non Verbal Communication Research
- Six non-verbal channels influence how others perceive how successful we will be -
1) dress 2)tone of voice (BIGGEST IMPACT) 3) facial expressions 4) rhythm and use of time 5) space and touch with people 6) gestures and posture
- Leaders have to mindful of all six at all times, every day.
-All eyes are on you, all the time.
- Dev Tools: Course Bill helped designed and participated in by: The Center of Creative Leadership - Maximizing Your Leadership Potential
- Give and get feedback - ask for it. Mirror what you want people to do.
(WUE Tools for the feedback process: Feed Forward = One page Overview and WUE Podcast #23 - Magic Motivation Tools Feed Forward and Triad Calls )
- If you want to be seen as effective after receiving feedback: say thank you, share your takeaways/goals and invite them to hold you accountable. (Mirror what you want people to do.)
Timing on Recording: @ 42:40 ---
Topic 4: What it Means to Flip Your Script and Six Flips
- Flip Your Script from me, myself and I TO we and team
- Six Flips:
2) Skills - particularly in the areas of Communication and Influence
3) Relationships (BIGGEST IMPACT - DO THIS NOW)
- have a proactive conversation with all new Peer to Boss relationships, do not leave this unspoken with former 'best friends' you are now managing
- focus on Direction, Alignment and Commitment
(Suzie Mentioned the Dashboard tool, here are two tools for understanding:
Podcast #20 - Setting Performance Expectations the Easy Way w/ a Dashboard
and a video demonstration of the Dashboard Process - Three Easy Steps )
4) Do It All Attitude - learn to delegate, develop, mentor
5) Perspective - dealing with politics, broaden your focus, your network matters
6) Focus - character strength (CAN BE MOST CHALLENGING)
- there's a lot more grey area as a leader
- values alignment - get clear and let others know, use to guide decisions
- In senior roles - integrity means the most to their success; if you are not gauging this in younger leaders - you could be promoting lower integrity people into senior leadership roles.
Timing on Recording: @ 1:06:00 ---
Topic 5: Closing Questions and How to Contact Bill
- This person comes to mind - when I think of most successful, and here's why...
- Advice to my 25 year old self
- Bill board - Flip Your Script, Less About Me, More About We
- Advice: Don't go it alone, find: mentors, advisors and coaches
- Contact Bill at Brave Leaders, Inc. (Working with leaders in organizations.)
- Ted Talk Video Bill mentions w/ Brave Leaders Inc. Founder and Best Selling Author Brene' Brown - over 29 million views, The Power of Vulnerability
- Bills Book and Website: www.williamgentryleads.com
Subscribe via iTunes or Leave a Review
Podcasts and Books Mentioned in This Podcast
Get a complimentary audio book and support this podcast by using my affiliate link:
Get a Free Audio Book w/ 30-day Trial
Short- Term Leadership Coaching
Schedule a Complimentary Consulting Call or Send Me Feedback:
STAY IN TOUCH: Are you a leader, trainer or consultant focused on building a Wake Up Eager Workforce? Subscribe to this Podcast Here. You can also sign up for monthly email updates, here. Thank you for being a part of the Wake Up Eager Workforce Podcast!!
Contact us to schedule a Complimentary Consulting Call
or to ask questions about any of our Hiring,
Coaching, Training and Assessment services.