Podcast Episode #39:
Style & Execution
Overview of Episode #39 ---
- All about the Executive Presence dimension: Style and execution.
- 5 focus areas - Facets to consider for improving your Style and Execution.
- One area that most impacts your ability to effectively execute.
- 7 behaviors of leaders who do well in this area.
- 5 actions you can take.
Timing on Recording: @ 4:30 ---
Topic 1: Introduction
- "When you’re looking in the mirror, you’re
looking at the problem. But you’re also looking at the solution"
- What's covered in this Episode:
-All about the Executive Presence dimension: Style and execution.
-Five focus areas - facets to consider for improving your Style and Execution.
-One area that most impacts your ability to effectively execute.
-Seven behaviors of leaders who do well in this area.
-Five actions you can take.
- Recap of Episode #38, interview with Executive
Presence expert Scott Weighart
- What is Executive Presence?
- Definition of Executive Presence: The qualities
of a leader as seen through the eyes of others that engage, inspire, align
& move people to act.
Timing on Recording: @ 6:40 ---
Topic 2: 360 Feedback
- What is 360 feedback?
- The feedback you receive from your peers is for
YOU. It allows you to think about business goals, themes or objectives that you
are trying to meet. “What are my peers trying to tell me?”
- Reminder of what vulnerability feels like.
Timing on Recording: @ 12:45 ---
Topic 3: Think of Senior Leaders and Executives You Have Worked
With in the Past
- Who inspired you? Who did not?
Who caused you to want to take
action? Who did not?
Do the “did not” people come to
Timing on Recording: @ 16:30 ---
Topic 4: Three Areas That Are Measured in Executive Presence
- 1) Style and execution.
- 2) Substance and credibility
- 3) Character and trust
- Suzanne Bates book – “All the Leader You Can Be,
the Science of Achieving Extraordinary Executive" Presence.(Available - complimentary copy with a 30 day trial - www.audibletrial.com/wakeupeagerworkforce
- Definition of Style in Executive Presence: “The word style is commonly used to describe a
person’s wardrobe and grooming as in stylish appearance. A more accurate and
complete definition of style is a way of doing things.” Suzanne Bates
- Five Areas Measured in the Executive Presence Index (360 Degree Feedback tool) in the area of Style and Executiion:
Timing on Recording: @ 20:00 ---
Topic 5: Appearance
- Looking and acting like an executive, commanding
the room, energy and vigor.
- How energy plays a part in how you are
- Not showing up looking fatigued, poorly dressed
Timing on Recording: @ 25:45 ---
Topic 6: Intentionality
- Your ability to execute, articulate your vision
and leave a meeting with a clear course of action.
- “Become a compass.”
Timing on Recording: @ 28:32 ---
Topic 7: Inclusiveness
- “Inclusiveness is essential to
building support for initiative and getting the best of people’s thinking and
effort. Inclusive leaders tend to bring a lot of people into the discussion.
They are approachable and convey the sense that all views are welcome.” Suzanne Bates
The right balance of inclusiveness.
Timing on Recording: @ 31:12 ---
Topic 8: Assertiveness
The ability to speak up without being
How to speak up while reflecting
confidence and building confidence in others by being direct and forthright.
Timing on Recording: @ 34:25 ---
Topic 9: Interactivity
- How accessible are you? Do you have
the right quality or quantity of interaction with people?
Are people able to reach you, see
you and connect with you?
How well you do in interactivity
impacts a lot of other area within the Executive Presence picture.
Interactivity is about free-flowing
exchange of information.
You are not rushed, you are not
You find the right balance.
You pay attention to what is being said, as well
as what is not being said.
- You are seen as approachable.
If you are doing interactivity
well, your calendar is filled with communication activity because you see it as
Conflict. Do you allow it to simmer? Or do you
have a discussion?
Timing on Recording: @ 41:00 ---
Topic 10: Five Actions You Can Take to Improve
- Figure out how you can be less formal with
people and more available.
- Think about who you regularly meet with and work
with. Look at your calendar; can you allocate your time differently?
- Get feedback on how you conduct meetings. Are
you having effective meetings?
Episode #7: Better Meetings
- Check your listening skills. Are you listening
Episode #27: Listen
- How strong is your ability to handle conflict?
Do you avoid it?
Episode #35: Conflict
Timing on Recording: @ 50:05 ---
Topic 11: Closing Thoughts
- When you’re looking in the mirror, you’re
looking at the problem. But you’re also looking at the solution.
- All feedback is not about us, but all feedback
is for us.
- Your job is to grow and expand and become the
best that you could be, the next better version of yourself.
There is a Transcript for This Podcast, find it here: Transcript for Podcast #39
Subscribe via iTunes or Leave a Review
Podcasts and Books Mentioned in This Podcast
Get a complimentary audio book and support this podcast by using my affiliate link:
Get a Free Audio Book w/ 30-day Trial
Episode #38 Executive Presence – An Interview with Bates Communication's Scott Weighart
Coaching Senior Leaders - Executive Presence
Schedule a Complimentary Consulting Call or Send Us Feedback:
STAY IN TOUCH: Are you a leader, trainer or consultant focused on building a Wake Up Eager Workforce? Subscribe to this Podcast Here. You can also sign up for monthly email updates, here. Thank you for being a part of the Wake Up Eager Workforce Podcast!!
Contact us to schedule a Complimentary Consulting Call
or to ask questions about any of our Hiring,
Coaching, Training and Assessment services.