More Work Motivation and Inspiration:
Just Listen with Dr. Mark Goulston
Overview of Episode #37 -
- Suzie interviews Dr. Mark Goulston.
- The power of becoming a first class noticer
- P.A.L. Purposeful; Agendaless; Listening.
- Something all leaders and mentors will want to know about - Tether Love.
- Find out about Oxytocin Deficit Disorder - It may be impacting your team!
- Get conversation tips for holding a Wince Conversation.
Timing on Recording: @ 11:55 ---
Topic 1: Welcome; Getting to Know Dr. Mark Goulston.
- Favorite possession - Personal journal.
- Funny story - Garage sale.
Timing on Recording: @ 15:15 ---
Topic 2: How Did Just Listen Become Your Focus? Why Does this Matter to You?
- Story about "Nancy" and how all those years ago, out of tiredness, you let go and were totally present with her and she started to feel less alone. Powerful.
- A demonstration of what we can all do with the people we are with.
Timing on Recording: @ 24:45 ---
Topic 3: What Gets in the Way of Getting at This?
- Tactics shared around intending to connect, be a first class notice and be curious about what you notice and ask a question.
- What to listen for: I.C.U. = Important; Critical; Urgent.
- "The purest form of communication is to listen without memory or desire."
- P.A.L. = Purposeful; Agendaless; Listening.
Timing on Recording: @ 35:40 ---
Topic 4: Can You Talk About the Brain Science Related to Listening in Layman Terms?
- What a great mentor does.
- Tether Love - Believe in and see their future and their goodness, tether them to the future you see for them.
- Homework assignment with specific 3 steps for thanking our mentors.
- 72 hour hold. (If I have a breakdown, sit with it - Don't drink, shop, blast people and you'll get the breakthrough).
Timing on Recording: @ 51:15 ---
Topic 5: What Changes Have You Seen - As Leaders Have Become Better at "Just Listening?" What's the Impact on Their Personal and Professional Life?
- CEO exercise with 180 CEOs about sharing who had been there for them, stood up for them, stood by them in crisis.
- V.C.G. = Vulnerable. Courageous. Grateful.
Timing on Recording: @ 56:00 ---
Topic 6: What Changes Have You Seen in People - As They've Built this Skill? What's the Impact on Their Personal and Professional Life?
- Huffington Post article "Oxytocin Deficient Disorder." (Sacrificing joy for excitement)
- Deep hunger for connectedness.
- Wince confrontation.
- "Pains me to have this conversation..."
- "I need your help..."
- "I want to root for you..."
- "...triggering a flashback... people have to work around that..."
Timing on Recording: @ 1:03:20 ---
Contact Dr. Mark Goulston:
Links to Episode #37:
Subscribe via iTunes or Leave a Review
Podcasts and Books Mentioned in This Podcast
Get a complimentary audio book and support this podcast by using my affiliate link:
Get a Free Audio Book w/ 30-day Trial
Short- Term Leadership Coaching
Schedule a Complimentary Consulting Call or Send Me Feedback:
STAY IN TOUCH: Are you a leader, trainer or consultant focused on building a Wake Up Eager Workforce? Subscribe to this Podcast Here. You can also sign up for monthly email updates, here. Thank you for being a part of the Wake Up Eager Workforce Podcast!!
Priceless Professional Home