Persona: The Dark Truth Behind Personality Tests
Our Response: How Our Assessments and Approach Are Different
On March 4, 2021 HBO Max released the documentary Persona: The Dark Truth Behind Personality Tests. A telling piece on the misuse of personality tests that are used in the hiring and selection process that has been prevalent for decades.
This is why we train others to truly understand the proper use of ASSESSMENTS, not Personality TESTS. In our work of uncovering the talents of people and valuing the strengths, not weaknesses of people, we ONLY use validated assessments.
Please remember these elements of properly understanding the use of assessments:
- In our assessments there are no right or wrong answers – they are not tests, nor are people red-flagged as being a problem or not acceptable!
- None of the assessments we endorse measure IQ or mental capacity.
- DISC, Motivators and Acumen are NOT personality tests - even though some people or organizations have referred to them as such. They are part of a person’s personality, but they are not based on the theory that is used in the Myers-Briggs (MBTI) nor the Big 5.
- All people have strengths and need to have self-awareness to maximize their strengths. That is the goal of proper assessment use.
- Validity matters. There is no adverse impact to any protected groups using our assessments.
- You must know the history and validation studies of the assessments that you use. We have only trained and consulted using specific companies that have a strong rigor on research and can provide validity studies to demonstrate this.
- All three of our assessments measure normal behavior, not abnormal behavior. And it is neutral, not showing bias to any results.
- No one assessment should determine a hiring decision. A combination of assessments such as DISC, Motivators, Acumen, Sales Acumen, as well as interviews, references, and skills capability tests should be considered with only 1/3 of the hiring decision being the assessment results.
- We believe people can and do evolve over time and that you are not born one way. Self-awareness assessments empower people to become who they want to be.
- We have never used MBTI as we have already studied its supposed theory and found it to be inaccurate and inconsistent. We provide this document created by one of our colleagues to explain our understanding of the problems with MBTI.
- If you need any assistance in understanding the proper use of assessments in developing people, please feel free to contact us. We are proud of the last four decades of helping people uncover their talents so that they can have rewarding relationships with others and maximize their enjoyment in the life they live and the work they do.
Suzie Price, CPDA, CPMA, TMEA, CPF
Priceless Professional Development, LLC
For more information:
Listen to our podcast episode Weaponizing DISC
Read about the 10 Most Common DISC Mistakes
Contact us to schedule a Complimentary Consulting Call
or to ask questions about any of our Hiring,
Coaching, Training and Assessment services.