The Best Way I Know to Master the 'Activate Your Greatness' Wake Up Eager Habit
It's the best way to Activate your Greatness, but I didn't know THAT fifteen years ago. All I knew at the time was that I felt light-headed, that my heart was
beating faster and my palms were wet with sweat and anticipation. While I'm pretty sure I looked composed, I felt completely vulnerable.
I bet you think I was doing something really big like sky-diving, giving birth or appearing on national television, don't ya'? I'm almost embarrassed to tell you but I will. What had me so nervous was my meeting at work with a Consultant to review the results of Assessments I'd taken.
Reader Note: This is an article that relates to this Wake Up Eager Habit for Leaders and Sales Pros: Activate Your Greatness.
I was self conscious because I wasn't sure that I wanted to hear what 'this guy' had to say - my employer had signed me up to take these assessments.
It turns out that 'this guy' - the Consultant - understood the power of emphasizing strengths, (today, I realize that he understood the power of the Activate Your Greatness Habit) and his 'leverage your strengths' approach, plus the robust and specific information in the assessments, quickly turned my fear into wonder and interest.
My results were accurate and extremely helpful, giving me all kinds of insight about how to consciously use my strengths in my daily life and at work. They revealed "truths" about me that I'd never seen in writing before. It was ground-breaking for me.
"The real tragedy of life is not that each of us doesn't have enough
strengths, it's that we fail to use the ones we have."
Now, Discover Your Strengths, Marcus Buckingham
A 'How to Activate Your Greatness' Master Class!
Reading the information in my Assessment Results about my strengths and my development opportunities was empowering. The Assessments were a "Master Class" in how to master me! This is the kind information that puts me (and you!) in charge.
Up to that point I'd been trying accelerate my development, on my own, with these approaches:
- Trial and Error. This rough and tumble time-consuming approach works, but sometimes the uninformed decisions I made turned into painful mistakes. Trial and error does result in positive growth, but progress can be slow.
- Looking for good mentors to learn from and model myself after. Good mentors can make a big difference, but it can be hard to find effective, committed-to-you-and-your-positive-growth mentors. I've had probably had only a couple of really good mentors in my career so far.
- Hoping that my boss, friends, family and co-workers would see my potential, and reveal insights about "It", to me - maybe they could help me activate my greatness. I've found that most people are better at pointing out weaknesses, not specific strengths. Unfortunately that tendency is prevalent in our culture.
"Globally only 20% of employees feel that their strengths are in
play every day... (this helps us) begin to understand why
8 out of 10 employees feel somewhat miscast in their role."
Now Discover Your Strengths
Objective, reliable and accurate Assessments provide a fast-track way to make better decisions by helping leverage your strengths and turning your focus toward only the development gaps that matter. With the this kind of information you can move forward faster, and with more confidence.
Since that first assessment-experience, 15+ years ago, I've immersed myself into the "Assessment World" by getting certified in numerous tools, I now certify other people, lead assessment-based workshops and debrief many Assessment Results, every week.
"We cannot focus on the weaknesses of another and evoke strengths.
You've got to beat the drum (of strengths), and when you do,
you'll be a strong signal of influence that will help them
reconnect with who they (really) are."
Activate Your Greatness: Some Things I Learned About Myself From My Assessment Results...
Here are just a few of things I learned about myself that day - this awareness has stayed with my many years later:
- My Strengths - I'm assertive, a problem-solver, a risk taker, I never meet a stranger, I handle change with ease and I have a million ideas. I kind of thought some of these things about myself, but was not sure they were really my strengths until I actually saw them in writing in my Report. WOW!
- How Others See Me - Whoa, can I really overwhelm people? Maybe. I never knew that before, but I can see that, now. This is good to know and will help me be more effective.
- My Stress-ors - This is so true, I hate to go slow and to not be allowed to think outside the box. No wonder that last job was so stressful for me. I wish I'd known this before I went through all of that! I'll know better next time...
- My Motivators - I do love to learn, I need to to be a product expert, and to be able to get results. I'm going to look for ways to do more of this...
- How to Manage Me - Now I understand what I need, maybe I can ask for more of this with friends, colleagues and family...cool.
- Specific Development Opportunities - Yea, I can take forever to make my point, and I can be insensitive and impatient! Those are areas I can work on, now that I know!
"Flow...(comes from) taking pleasure in using your own
skills to contribute something of value to the world."
The Psychology of Flow, Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi
The Two Best Assessments to Help You
Master the Activate Your Greatness Habit
I've tried, tested and taught MANY different Assessments over the years. The two best assessments I recommend for mastering the Activate Your Greatness Habit are:
- The DISC Communication Style Assessment (Download a PDF Sample DISC Report, Here-Opens Another Window.)
- The Workplace Motivators Assessment (Download a PDF Sample DISC Report, Here-Opens Another Window.)
I offer self-paced, immediate access, online courses for both of these Assessments. I also teach half and full-day workshops focused on helping Leaders and Sales Pros use their own assessment results to improve communication, motivation and their power of influence with others. Links are listed below:
Activate Your Greatness with the DISC Communication Style Assessment:
Activate your Greatness with the Workplace Motivators Assessment
Contact Suzie To Schedule a Complimentary Consulting Call or to Ask Questions
Priceless Professional Home