Podcast Episode #67:
Overview of Episode #67 ---
- What is intermittent fasting (IF)?
- How does intermittent fasting work?
- What are some of the unknown benefits?
- Why does it work?
- How Health Coach Amy Land, a former athlete and HR leader, gained back her health and mental clarity with IF.
Contact Amy Land
LinkedIn: Amy Land
Timing on Recording: @ 11:32 ---
Topic 1: Why Did You Considered Intermittent Fasting (IF)? How Did You Get Started? Why Have you Stuck With It?
- “It was a last resort.”
- Tried everything to get the weight off but nothing worked.
- Did not feel comfortable in my own skin.
- Gin Stephens’ book call Delay, Don't Deny.
- I used to lose weight in certain parts of my body, but not where the fat was.
- Your hormones are balanced with intermittent fasting, which is really different than other forms of dieting.
- You have complete like hormonal regulation.
- My health issues that were preventing weight loss were hormone-related.
- Simplicity of IF, the flexibility of it.
- A lot of people get caught up in the nuances, “What time should I start eating? What time should I stop? When should I do it? What if I have a meeting? What if I have a dinner? What if I have to eat with my children?” The beauty of IF is none of those things really matter.
- Each day you can wake up and say, “What's my schedule? What do I need to do today? What am I choosing to do?” And around that make up your fasting schedule.
- Focus on getting a clean fast.
Timing on Recording: @ 19:11 ---
Topic 2: How To Do Intermittent Fasting. Is It Hard?
- Very different than any other diet.
- “Oh yeah, I'm going to eat that, it's just a bit later.”
- What is really important is that I eat when I'm really hungry and I stop when I'm no longer hungry, which is a subtle difference from stopping when you are full.
- Stick with an App.
- NSV – Non-scale victories – Mental clarity, calmness, when you are not eating, you are focused on everything else that you are doing.
- In order to do IF well, you really have to be super-mindful.
- It is a big mind switch.
- It is to not about hunger, once you get fat adapted, you are just not hungry anymore.
- When your stomach is growling, it's actually eating the fat seriously.
- You can eat a lot more food, you are just eating it in a tighter timeframe.
- Reduces inflammation.
- Look younger, smoother skin and brighter eyes.
- Things that may have bothered you for years (weight) that just kind of goes away and you don't exactly know why.
Timing on Recording: @ 29:38 ---
Topic 3: What is Fat Adapted?
- It's customizable and everybody's unique.
- If you have a lot of sugar in you, a lot of carbohydrates, you have been eating a lot of small meals, starting IF is going to be a challenge.
- The more you eat, the more carbs you eat, the more you think you need to eat and you body wants to eat. You have to turn that off. It really takes a while for the body to deplete all of that.
- If you have been doing low carb, I think it is an easier transition.
- 16/8, which means that you are fasting for 16 hours and you are eating for 8 hours.
- It has to do with how much sugar is floating around, how much insulin is in your body, and glycogen, you want to deplete all that before you start to feel really great.
- The hunger was not relevant; it was not relevant to how often I should be eating.
- Use an App: Zero and Window.
Timing on Recording: @ 37:52 ---
Topic 4: What is a Clean Fast?
- Only consume water, plain mineral water or plain sparkling water, black coffee, black green tea or black tea, with nothing in it.
- Anything that has a flavor, you do not want to mess around with.
- There is healthy cell renewal every time you fast for any length of time.
- It takes a lot for our bodies to digest food, it is really hard work and when we do not give it that to do, the body can concentrate on taking care of everything else, making it ready and healthy, staying youthful and young and vital.
Timing on Recording: @ 41:28 ---
Topic 5: What is Your Eating Window? What Do You Eat?
- My eating window could be as small as 1 hour.
- During the week, I keep a short window because it works for me. I eat late afternoon, I eat plenty, I close my window.
- Go to sleep with an empty belly.
- More flexible on the weekends.
- Learn what feels good to your specific body.
- You can get tremendous benefits by doing IF a few times a week.
Timing on Recording: @ 1:00:29 ---
Topic 6: Getting to Know Amy Land
- What advice would you give your 25 year-old self?: “The little things that you do each day are much more important than the big things.”
- Last bit of wisdom that you want to share around IF? “The simplicity of it, like just don't overthink it. I mean you have in you what it takes to do this.” “I’m going to make you so proud.” “Pause, wait, listen and really just kind of tune in, just tune in.”
Subscribe via iTunes or Leave a Review
Links, Books and Podcasts Mentioned in This Episode:
Get a complimentary audio book and support this podcast by using my affiliate link:
Get a Free Audio Book with 30-day Trial to listen to Delay Don’t Deny by Gin Stephens and/or What, When, Wine by Melanie Avalon
Intermittent Fasting Podcast
Intermittent Fasting Stories Podcast featuring Amy Land
Delay, Don't Deny Facebook Group
Wake Up Eager Wednesday
123 Mind, Body, Spirit eBook
Trey Kennedy - Spoof on People Who Brag About Their Diets
Delay, Don't Deny by Gin Stephens
What When Wine: Lose Weight and Feel Great with Paleo-Style Meals, Intermittent Fasting, and Wine by Melanie Avalon
AC: The Power of Appetite Correction by Bert Herring
The Obesity Code: Unlocking the Secrets of Weight Loss by Dr. Jason Fung
New England Journal of Medicine: Effects of Intermittent Fasting on Health, Aging and Disease
Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About Intermittent Fasting
Zero - Fasting Tracker App
Window - Intermittent Fasting App
#31 Top Five Tips for Managing Your Mind, Stress Management Strategies Series for Professionals, Part 1 of 3
#32 Top Five Tips for Managing Your Body, Stress Management Strategies Series for Professionals, Part 2 of 3
#33 Top Tips for Managing Your Spirit Stress Management Strategies Series for Professionals, Part 3 of 3
#66 #1 Wake Up Eager Mind Tip - Essentialism: A Discussion with Catherine Blakemore
Become the Expert: Assessment Certification Training
Schedule a Complimentary Consulting Call or Send Us Feedback:
STAY IN TOUCH: Are you a leader, trainer or consultant focused on building a Wake Up Eager Workforce? Subscribe to this Podcast Here. You can also sign up for monthly email updates, here. Thank you for being a part of the Wake Up Eager Workforce Podcast!