Enter the Zone: How Athletes Get in the Zone - An Interview with Sarah Derrenbacher
There is a Transcript for This Podcast Episode, find it here: Transcript for Episode #46
Overview of Episode #46 ---
- Learn about these terms: “Playing from the Neck
Up, Working Outside the Pocket of Play and the River of Flow,” and how each can
impact your level of performance.
- Four performance barriers that can keep out of
the zone or flow.
- Five actions you can take to prepare for high
- Four actions you use when you are in high-pressure
Timing on Recording: @ 11:02 ---
Topic 1: Welcome; Getting to Know Performance Coach Sarah
- Tell us your favorite possession: Photograph of
Great Grandmother as a Flapper – Radiates freedom.
Timing on Recording: @ 13:44 ---
Topic 2: Share a situation where an athlete was struggling to meet
their goal, of what was getting in the way to meet their goal of
performance? How did you work through it
with them so that they could get “back in the zone” or get into high performance?
- 4th year female college student, jam-packed
curriculum, 3.9 average GPA, team captain, phenomenal presence, great in
practice, but she was crippled by fear inside of these big game
situation, she would go into a paralysis (play reactive versus proactive, miss
shots she always made, fall on defense).
- She had a fear of failure, it was not an option for her.
- Challenge to skill ratio.
- Find a middle ground, where it's enough stress to push you
just beyond your comfort level, but not so much stress that it causes you to shutdown,
- If you learn to anticipate failure as part of high
performance, you will be less stuck when failure happens.
- Four-step process about awareness, acknowledgement,
acceptance, and then adjustment.
- What we resist, persists.
Timing on Recording: @ 24:57 ---
Topic 3: What happens when someone is more present?
Timing on Recording: @ 26:58 ---
Topic 4: “Being in the zone/Being in flow.”
- Sarah’s definition of “Being in flow.”
- “All of us, everyday, are standing right next to this “River
of Flow,” and we have a choice about whether we surrender and drop into that “River
of Flow,” which gives us that sense of limitless potential, or do we stay in
this place where we need to control and predict all of the time.”
- Observations of athletes “in the flow."
- Working smarter, not harder “in the zone/in
- How do you know when you are “out of flow?”
- “Where the heck did that come from?”
- 4 personal performance barriers.
- Fear of failure.
- Not being connected to your desire, your "why."
- Playing from the neck up.
- Levels of passion.
- What is it that makes you feel alive?
- Repeating question.
- High consequences.
- State of concentration.
- Restorative movement.
- Clarify our goals.
Timing on Recording: @ 56:59 ---
Topic 5: Prescription to being/bringing your best.
Identify the risks.
- Articulate the goals.
- Be aware of performance barriers.
- Embodiment practices.
- Relief and recovery strategies.
- Performance habits/triggers.
Timing on Recording: @ 1:09:10 ---
Topic 6: Resources.
Timing on Recording: @ 1:11:26 ---
Topic 7: How do you get in the zone for your work and interaction?
What are some key tools, actions, mindsets that you use? What do you do to get
- Daily meditation.
- Single attention/risk.
Timing on Recording: @ 1:17:50 ---
Topic 8: Close.
- Your billboard for leaders and athletes about
being in the flow – “Feel the flow.”
- Advice to your younger self – “Open up
to the awareness that goes beyond mind and beyond fear.”
- One bit of advice or wisdom you want every
leader to take away from this discussion about getting in the zone, finding
flow – “Performance or being in flow does not have to come at the
expense of yourself. That there is a different way of achieving high
performance and in fact this kind of way, this dropping into the river of flow
actually gives you an opportunity to be more, bless you, but more of you and at
the same time help you achieve higher levels of performance.”
Contact Sarah Derrenbacher:
LinkedIn: Sarah Derrenbacher
Subscribe via iTunes or Leave a Review
Podcasts and Books Mentioned in This Podcast
Get a complimentary audio book and support this podcast by using my affiliate link:
Get a Free Audio Book w/ 30-day Trial
Essential Leadership Performance Skill Development for All Levels of Leadership
Improve Your Confidence
& Swagger and Win at Work Like Baseball's 2011 Rookie of the Year
#25 How Leaders Can Use the Power of Relational Presence to Engage and Influence
#31 Top Five Tips for Managing Your Mind: Stress Management Strategies Series for Professionals
#32 Top Five Tips for Managing Your Body: Stress Management Strategies Series for Professionals
#33 Top Five Tips for Managing Your Spirit: Stress Management Strategies Series for Professionals
Coaching + TriMetrix =
Developing Self Awareness & Effective Leadership
Schedule a Complimentary Consulting Call or Send Us Feedback:
STAY IN TOUCH: Are you a leader, trainer or consultant focused on building a Wake Up Eager Workforce? Subscribe to this Podcast Here. You can also sign up for monthly email updates, here. Thank you for being a part of the Wake Up Eager Workforce Podcast!!