Change How You Think, Act and Work:
Cliff Hurst, PhD, Westminster College Talks About Robert S. Hartman's Work
There is a Transcript for This Podcast Episode, find it here: Transcript for Episode #58
Overview of Episode #58 ---
- How Robert S. Hartman’s work provides a moral foundation; better understanding of the depth and breadth of Hartman’s work.
- The two ways the Science of Axiology helps us know, grow, choose and give more of ourselves.
- Gain insights, books, tips and inspiration about living on purpose.
Timing on Recording: @ 11:10 ---
Topic 1: Welcome Dr. Clifford Hurst; Talk About Robert S. Hartman’s Work, How You Came Across It and Why You Are Committed to Sharing it With Others:
- In 2002, TTI introduced me to the Hartman Value Profile, the assessment was very accurate.
- When I started using the Hartman Value Profile, I thought it was magic, it's like the mass just melted away and people got very real, very quickly.
- I started using the assessment but did not know where the information came from, I thought, “I better learn more about where this came from.”
- I wanted to become a more theoretically grounded consultant.
- Hartman was to me a polymath, someone who knows a whole lot about a lot of things. And I look back at my own career and I look at a lot of people who are using the instrument as consultants. If the only thing you're doing is the instrument, you're leaving a lot of richness off the table because Hartman was so thoughtful about so many different things that the theory of Formal Axiology is much richer than the instrument itself.
- The stuff started by Robert S. Hartman in 1958 has created $7 trillion of personal wealth in America, and most people don't know that came from Hartman.
Timing on Recording: @ 20:18 ---
Topic 2: How Would You Explain to Someone How this Science Lends Itself to so Many Disciplines?:
- It is the Science of Value of Morals.
- Let's say a business is only about making money, but it should be about the human good, and the good of everyone involved in that, the science reframes a lot.
- Book: From the Neck Up by Stephen Byrum.
- Today's young people more than anything else don't want just a job when they graduate, they want to find meaning in their own lives and they want to make a difference in the world through their work. I believe Hartman's theory allows us to honor that ambition.
- Balance of systemic, extrinsic and intrinsic.
- Hartman’s theory provides a balanced perspective to your cognitive habits and provides a moral foundation to what we ought to be doing in the world.
Timing on Recording: @ 30:54 ---
Topic 3: Two gifts that the Hartman Value Profile Gives People:
- One: It gives you the ability to bring to conscious awareness all patterns that you've had held subconsciously, these things that we don't know about how we think.
- What are your habitual realities? Without the Hartman Value Profile, we don't know what our habitual thought patterns are.
- Two: It brings to conscious awareness are called cognitive horizons, how far can you think, what are the limits of your cognitive processes? It gives us a language with which to understand it.
- All understanding is linguistic; we can't process stuff if we don't have a language with which to process it.
Timing on Recording: @ 33:21 ---
Topic 4: Other Ways Hartman’s Work Has Impacted Your Life:
- Hartman, “There are only four steps to a successful life. Number one, know yourself. Two, choose yourself. Three, grow yourself. And four, give yourself to something greater than you.”
- My mission is to help my students to know themselves, choose themselves and give yourself to something greater than you.
Timing on Recording: @ 34:27 ---
Topic 5: What Would You Say Was Most Challenging For You Along the Way on this Journey to Where You Are Today?:
- False starts.
- Choosing yourself.
- You have to know who you are to choose it.
- “The most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you find out why.” – Mark Twain
- Intrinsic Valuation of the Self.
Timing on Recording: @ 49:33 ---
Topic 6: Are There Additional Books or Training Programs That Have Been Instrumental in Your Developments?:
- Doctoral training at Fielding Graduate University.
- Workshops by Christina Thomas Fraser called The Inner Light Intensives.
- Book: In Tune With the Soul by Christina Thomas.
Timing on Recording: @ 50:55 ---
Topic 7: When You Think of the Word Successful, Who's the First Person That Comes to Mind?:
- Carl Rogers – How it took 30 years for his work to become mainstream.
Timing on Recording: @ 52:23 ---
Topic 8: What Do You Do Regularly to Create Your Own Wake Up Eager Days in Mind, Body and Spirit?:
- Mind: Reading an hour a day enriches my mind.
- Body: Have lost 20 pounds so far, halfway to my goal. Book: Wheat Belly
- Spirit: My wife, My spiritual practice Self-realization Fellowship (Yoga), My hobby: Spoon carving.
Timing on Recording: @ 59:45 ---
Topic 9: Getting to Know Dr. Clifford Hurst:
- A funny story your family tells about you: 5 year-old, “Nobody likes stupid people.”
- Advice you would give you 25 year-old self: “Be yourself, everyone else is taken.” Oscar Wilde
- If you could have a billboard anywhere, what would it say?: “The two most important days in your life for the day you were born in the day you figured out why.” Mark Twain
- Last bit of wisdom, advice that you want everybody who's listening to take away: Remember those four steps to a successful life; Be yourself, choose yourself, grow yourself, and give yourself to something more important than you.
Books Mentioned in the Podcast:
68thUnited Nations Civil Society Conference: Link Here
Contact Cliff Hurst: http://cliffordhurst.com/
Subscribe via iTunes or Leave a Review
Links, Books and Podcasts Mentioned in This Episode:
Get a complimentary audio book and support this podcast by using my affiliate link:
Get a Free Audio Book with 30-day Trial
TriMetrix Related Podcasts
Become the Expert: Assessment Certification Training
Schedule a Complimentary Consulting Call or Send Us Feedback:
STAY IN TOUCH: Are you a leader, trainer or consultant focused on building a Wake Up Eager Workforce? Subscribe to this Podcast Here. You can also sign up for monthly email updates, here. Thank you for being a part of the Wake Up Eager Workforce Podcast!!
Priceless Professional Home