How to Measure Success:
Easily Measure & Report Leadership Development ROI
You can measure & report leadership development ROI (return on investment) for your corporate leadership development training programs, and at the same time provide each leader with a customized leadership development plan.
I'm going to show you how, here, step-by-step!
The process for collecting and reporting ROI and creating development plans: The Train-To-Ingrain Process is so simple and do-able that I'm amazed that more companies don't use it.
What Usually Happens...
Think about a training program you attended recently.
Now, recall, how much of the training material you actually took back to work and used on the job?
Did you know that the average percentage of skills that actually transfer from training class to the job is <20 percent?
This 3 minute video (created by one of my vendor partners - don't worry it is not too sales-y)explains some of the challenges we face in trying to improve learner retention.
It also outlines how we can measure
leadership development ROI. Review this solid overview now.
(Opens a new window.)
Step-By-Step 'How-To' To Measure
& Get More Leadership Development ROI
The three minute video provided a good overview. Now I'll share more detail, step-by-step.
- First, we use an online feedback tool to get input from the leader's employees, peers and managers. The feedback results provides specific information about this leader's strengths and development opportunities.
- Next, we review the results with each participant leader either before class or during the first day. (I have a team debrief process that I use that works well. If you'd like to talk through what I do, just contact me.)
- Each participant creates a development plan by selecting two areas of strength to leverage and two development opportunities to focus on and attack during the program and afterward, on-the-job.
The trainer and the leader's manager should get a copy of this development plan.
- Participants are informed that the feedback survey will be sent out, again in 9 to 12 months for more feedback. Results and progress will be compared and reviewed.
- The leadership training programs now begins.
Your participants start the program with a better understanding of how their behaviors are impacting others.
Also, I find that now, most participants are more motivated, involved and focused due to the feedback and additional accountability involved with re-surveying.
- During the training class make sure you provide time to role-play and practice the skills. Interactive programs create the best results.
- On the last day of training pair each participant with an Accountability Partner, someone they will check-in with on a monthly basis to review their development plans, progress and any bumps in the road.
- In 9-12 months re-run the feedback survey and compare the progress and now measure ROI.
Train-to-Ingrain - In Summary...
In a nutshell, you're adding a survey before class and after class so that you have a benchmark of where they are at the start of the program and how well they implemented the information, after the program.
It's a powerful process.
Because it's a different from the standard 'just attend a class' approach - it might seem like a lot of steps at first.
But, once you experience the impact it makes, you won't ever want to offer training the old way again.
With the Train-to-Ingrain Process you no longer have the people who need the skills most, sitting in the back of the room playing around.
You no longer get questions about the value of your development programs from executives.
You won't spend money on training and not be able to see, measure and report ROI.
You'll actually see changes in your leaders. Yea! THAT is what you were after all along, right?
Leadership Development ROI Resources...
Click here to listen to a 10 minute overview from two of my Priceless Partners Meredith and Denny.
They share specific information on the ROI formula you can use in Step 8, above
(A new window will open.)
Also, be sure to download this detailed written overview on the process of measuring leadership development ROI
created by my partner Denny for the American Society of Training and Development(ASTD).
This is a leadership development ROI PDF and it takes a few minutes to load. (A new window will open.)
The BEST Online Survey Software: This is What I Use To Conduct Pre- & Post-Class Surveys, 360 Feedback and More
This software is now available to Small Businesses and all Trainers. Robust, secure, easy to use, customizable and will improve leadership ROI (because it helps you easily implement many of the action steps, shared above.)
Read my review of this Survey Software, here. Get all the specific product Survey Software details, here.
I write about leadership development ROI often in my online monthly e-newsletter. Subscribe here.
Like the site? Have suggestions or ideas? Contact Suzie here. Priceless Professional Home